Friday, October 22, 2010


Bridgeport, Penn Valley, CA

Have you every had one place that draws you into the history, the peaceful surround, and the gorgeous views. I have and that place for me is Bridgeport. Doesn't matter how many times I go even if it's for 5 minutes, It never disappoints me. This place to me is my thinking place, it gives me the quietness I need to sort through my thoughts and in turns gives me answers I'm looking for.

There are a couple hiking trails that take you into a world of your own. One more intense than the other but both with beautiful sceneries. If you choose trail number one so simple yet you hike along a cliff while looking at the river's current as you go. At the end is a small spot I call my thinking spot. In the picture below you can see why.



If you choose trail number two is it the intense one of the two and will not disappoint. You set off into what seems like a forest in the fairy tells. You hike along the forest's edge with a few glimpses of the river as you go along. At the end of your journey you will find a place where two parts of the river join into one. In a way it creates a triangle of sorts. You now have two options you can continue on the trail which creates a circle in the end or go the way you have prevoious came. Here is your warning though, if you continue on be prepared for the steep incline. While you climb you will get a great view too of the river you hike along. You are almost at the end, the river is gone, and you think how much further. Well I can tell you not much further, you will come across a green field, with a bench. You must sit on it and take a break. Listen what do you hear....Nothing. Nothing but the birds, the wind (if the conditions are right), and your thoughts.

"The Bridgeport Covered Bridge on the South fork of the Yuba River is one of the longest single-span wooden bridges in America measuring in at over 230 feet. The bridge here was originally constructed in 1862 and was part of the Virginia Turnpike Company Toll Road that served the northern mines and traffic to and from Virginia City and the Comstock Lode in Nevada."

If you would like to read up more about the place, the history, or how to get there here is the site for you. enjoy!
http://www.pennvalleycoc.org/html/bridgeport.html


A side note all pictures taken by me.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for reading my blog Sam, and for saying that I am a good story teller :) I like this post of yours. I remember going to that bridge with you. It was so quiet and peaceful and this post just makes me want to go there again!

    ReplyDelete